Housekeeping + Set Up
Welcome to the Dance Studio BodyPosi Challenge!
This challenge runs from March 25-29, 2019, and is designed for you to follow along day by day and add activities, movement, conversations and writing prompts (what I like to call Discovery Sheets) into your classes. Whether you follow along during the upcoming week, or use this material later this month or year, I encourage you to really make body positivity in your dance classes a daily practice!
A few housekeeping + admin details:
- Everyday during the challenge you'll receive an email from me, prompting you to log in here and get your materials for that day.
- I encourage you to keep with the pace of the course and check in daily.
- In order to log in smoothly, make sure you've created an account here on Teachable.
- It's also a good idea to make sure that any email you receive from me or Teachable go into your Inbox, and not your Trash or Spam folders.
- You won't need any special materials for this challenge, but do make sure you set aside about 30 min a day to read through the day's prompts/activities to understand them and plan how to incorporate them into your class
How to deliver this Challenge:
- You can choose to do this material with one age group, or several. Each day's material will have notes on how to use the exercises with different age groups.
- Another great option for how to deliver this material is to do it one week with your teen students, and then the following week have your teen dancers assist you in teaching the material to your younger dancers. Teens love showing and sharing what they know, and it will be great for your younger students to see the 'big kids' modeling this body positive behavior!
- An open mind is the most important! (See the picture/quote below)
- Blank paper, markers/crayons/pencils/pens are suggested for the daily Discovery Sheets and writing activities.
- Blank note cards
- The book Brontoria by James Howe, or the Alexander and the No Good, Very Bad Day book by Judith Viorst
- Construction paper
- Small rocks + paint (for this craft)
Finally, this is a community space! I encourage you to use me, and each other as the gems of resources that we are! Ask questions, tell us what's working (and what's not), and let's build a community on support, trust, and respect!
If you feel so inclined, you can join the Different Drummer Dance Facebook Tribe where you can check in as you like to get A's to your Q's, or chat with other participants.I can't wait to get started and work with you, and want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to do this challenge. I promise you it'll change the way you think and approach your teaching practice, and hopefully inspire you to keep this body positive work a part of your daily teaching practice!